Accommodation & Study Visas

Accommodation Options

There are three options for accommodation while you are studying in New Zealand. Please contact one of the accommodation providers below to arrange your accommodation. For contact details, please see links below.


Canterbury Homestays is a specialist and experienced homestay company. Its service includes homestay, student care and guardianship.

Email: [email protected]


Own Arrangements

If you wish to make your own living arrangements, you will need to inform us of the details on the enrolment form.

Note: The National Trade Academy is not responsible for and does not arrange your accommodation.

Jail House Accommodation

We have been voted Top Backpacker Hostel in Oceania once again by Hostelworld guests this year, as well as being consistently highly recommended in Lonely Planet and Rough Guides.

Our renovated heritage accommodation has had a very fascinating history as the Addington Prison from 1874 to 1999, and since opening as a backpackers hostel in 2006 our amazing accommodation has become renowned as a must-stay on the backpacker circuit.

See their website

Immigration NZ Visa information

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service and can be viewed on their website at


Study Visas

To enable you to study with us you will need the correct visa from Immigration NZ (INZ).

Student Visas

To enable you to study on a course you will need to apply for a Study Visa from Immigration NZ. The following information is a brief outline of what Immigration NZ will require from you. To enter New Zealand you need:

  • to have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider such as a school, polytechnic or university
    evidence that you've arranged accommodation through the education provider or through another person.
  • to be in good health and of good character. If your stay is longer than six months, in some cases you may need to complete a TB clearance. You may also need to complete a medical and police certificate depending on how long you intend to stay in New Zealand.
  • a passport that's valid for at least three months past the date you are to leave New Zealand.
  • proof that you plan to leave New Zealand once you've completed your study.
  • proof that:
    • you've paid any course fees that you're required to pay, or
    • you're exempt from paying fees, or
    • you have a scholarship or an award that covers your fee
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay.
  • to have the right visa for your visit.

The course is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority under the provisions of the Education Act 1989, and the National Trade Academy Ltd is accredited to teach it.

For further information contact us at [email protected]

Working Holiday Visas

If you are from one of the following countries the Working Holiday Scheme is applicable for our courses which are 12 weeks in duration or less. Follow the link to get more information from the New Zealand Immigration Service.

For further information contact us at [email protected]