Pastoral Care, Health Insurance and Immigration

Pastoral Care

The National Trade Academy has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website.


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service and can be viewed on their website at

Medical and Health Insurance

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in NZ. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all NZ citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to NZ, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Travel, Health, and Medical Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current travel, health and medical insurance while studying in NZ from the date they arrive until the date they leave. An approved travel health and medical insurance plan can be viewed on NTA can help with obtaining Travel, Health and medical insurance through Southern Cross.

If the students arrange their own they must provide a copy of their insurance policy on their first day or send us a copy by email. The insurance policy must be from a reputable and established travel insurance company, with a credit rating no lower than A from "Standard and Poors." or B+ from "AM Best". The insurer must provide emergency 24-hour / 7-day per week insurance cover. The student must provide details of what the insurance covers and provide dates of the insurance cover.